Easy 5 on Allergies (13th March 2021):
We have often heard people saying that they are allergic to particular things. But, why is it so?
You might be one of those for whom wintertime and summertime mean sore, dry, itching throats, or skin rash flare-ups. They are symptoms of allergy.
1.What are Allergies?
Allergies are basically negative reactions of a person’s body towards a particular substance (basically foreign substances, allergens).
Common types of allergens include:
- Animal products
- Certain fabrics
- Drugs (e.g., sulfa drugs)
- Foods such as wheat, shellfish, nuts, and eggs
- Insect stings
- Plants (pollens from grass, weeds, and trees)
So these are enemies that need to be avoided or neutralized once identified, what next?
- What is our Natural protective system? Or what is a given?
Our immune system’s job, the natural protective system, is to keep us healthy by fighting off foreign substances (allergens).
So all we need to do is help embellish our immune system.
- What can be the symptoms of various kinds of allergies be?
- Swelling, nausea, fatigue (for food allergies)
- Sneezing, congestion, swollen eyes, runny nose (for seasonal allergies like hay fever)
- Rashes, red, itchy patches, burning, or, sore throat (for skin allergies)
If you are having a difficult time coping with any of these symptoms, then make sure to consult a medical practitioner.
Please note that everyone’s signs and symptoms of allergic reactions are different. Of course, there are numerous pharmaceutical drugs that relieve sneezing and itching. But most of these are expensive, and have side effects such as drowsiness.
But today, we are ready to give your health a boost by sharing some natural remedies for dealing with allergies. The best part is that these have fewer side effects, if any. And, they just work by preventing the allergy from occurring. Doesn’t that sound good?
- Did you know?
- Often having local honey produced by bees help in relieving allergies. It makes you inoculated against the irritating effects of pollen.
- Frequently eating foods enriched with Omega 3 like fish (Mackerel,Salmon,Sardines,caviar),eggs (negligible,so better to omit), and flaxseed oil ,Cod Liver oil; Seeds like Chia reduces the likelihood of a person suffering from allergic reactions.
- Plants like stinging nettle and butterbur can naturally fight against allergic reactions. So they are known as ‘natural antihistamines’ (drugs that prevent the spread of allergies).
- Natural remedies for seasonal allergies: What works?
Of course, the simplest form of prevention is rinsing off with water that part of the body as soon as possible after coming in contact with the allergen.
For temporary relief in case of clogged sinuses and congestion, simply pour boiling water into a container, drape a towel over your head and inhale the water deeply through your nose for a few minutes. Be cautious about not getting your face too close to the hot water, as you may burn yourself.
You can even add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to a bowl of steaming water. The vapour provides a menthol-like sensation that can make breathing a lot easier. Research suggests that the essential oil extracted from the eucalyptus tree has anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial properties.
Then again, don’t forget the role of tea in inhibiting allergic reactions. Green tea contains a compound named ‘methylated epigallocatechin’, which works miracles in case of allergies. Moreover, the menthol present in peppermint tea can break up and clear the mucus, which often clogs our nose and throat.
Hope you enjoyed reading these natural tips. However, it’s necessary to determine what you are allergic to. Clean up your bedroom, and keep a vacuum cleaner handy.Do not forget to clean the filters in your air-conditioner,it might also help in allergy-proofing your house. Let us do our bit in preventing the growth of harmful germs, and living a safe life.
Check your Body Mass Index (BMI):